6.26.2012

Knucks To Canucks!

Just got back from my first shake out run since Tough Mudder and boy did I need it. My hip flexors haven't been this sore since day two of my first hep freshman year of college. Thanks TOUGH MUDDER for reminding me I still have them!

The Boy, Jessi and I just got back from Canada after competing in one of the coolest and hardest competitions I have been in: Tough Mudder - Vancouver. Popping our Canadia Cherries together, we took our schweddy balls and hit up I-5. On the way up to Whistler we were able to pit stop in Vancouver, which I have decided is a pretty legit city. You get a thumbs up in my book, Coove (I know you were worried I wouldn't approve).



Lion's Gate Bridge is super pretty, in case you had any doubts.


After some random, but awesome entertainment (including Street Magic by an Englishman, Hungarian Dancers, and a Chinese Wushu competition) and fresh sushi in Vancouver, we hit the road again and made our way to our hotel in Squamish, BC (or Squatamala to the locals).  This song might have been played more than once one the drive (obvs Brad's request):





Squamish is 40 mins outside of Whistler and was the perfect spot for us to crash before getting up bright and early (5:01 am early, to be exact) for the race. We ate at the super chill Howe Sound Inn & Brewery and enjoyed it so much our first night in town, we headed back for more the next. Brad was happy because the Euros were on both nights and Jessi and I were happy because of the yummy menu. With full tummies we headed to bed early -- lights out at 9:15, Grandma needs her sleep to compete.

Originally, I had planned to channel my inner Katniss Everdeen for this event, but then I forgot my bow at home so that ended pretty quickly. All in all though, I think I made her proud. Luckily, signing up for it eight months in advance gave me the chance to build up my upper body strength and step up the cardio so I could pull myself up over the Berlin Walls and Everest obstacles pretty easily, as well as kick Brad's butt in the monkey bars (nbd) and still be able to run the 10 plus miles. Ok, that isn't entirely true, we did give in and walk up the Olympic Ski Jump mountain, because well it was steep and at mile 10 and by that point our quads were spent.



So fresh and so clean, clean lasted about 30 seconds into the race before we had to crawl under our first barbwire obstacle.





To answer your question: Yes, we did jump into that iced over lake.




These were the Monkey Bars that I went Beast Mode on.


The obstacles on their own were not horribly difficult, but add up 25 of them, on top of 10 plus miles, 45 degree weather, and some ice water and you've got yourself the 'Toughest Event On The Planet'. I think my dad said it best when he ask me, 'You drove 7 hours to put yourself in pain?' My response, 'Yeahhhh, but the view was gorgeous! So it was worth it?!'. Crossing the finish line three hours later after running through the final electro-shock obstacle felt like quite the accomplishment. I think the Tough Mudder Pledge had it right when they state it is a challenge, not a race. Everyone on the course that day competed as a team and I, personally, think that is pretty cool. 



Brad, Jessi, and I have already pre-registered for the Portland Tough Mudder in 2013.  Who wants to join?!

Cheers to Mud!


BB

1 comment

Anonymous said...

Pre-Registered! Training begins tomorrow!