10.26.2012

Rant of the Week :: Pull-Ups

So, I do have links this week.  They are just all focused on one topic: PULL-UPS!

Why the topic? Because I am a little bitter about this article.  Mainly due to the fact that it's stupid starting with the title.  Pretty bold statement to be making, since I (along with many other women) can do pull-ups.  So I take a little offense to it.

The article has a few flaws.

a) what does normal sized woman mean?
b) why did they only focus on the biceps and latissimus dorsi muscles? It is a full upper body movement. You need to be incorporating your entire back, your core and your abs, as well as your arms.
c) the best way to train for pull-ups is to actually practice the movement and variations of it. Do assisted pull-ups, use a machine that simulates the movement, have a workout partner or chair to help you, jump into each one, work your way up to the unassisted.

My Canadian girl crush, Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet murders the butterfly pull-up.

Now granted I can only do about 10 regular ones or so before I have to start kipping, but still at the end of the day I can do more than one unassisted pull-up on my own!

And say what you want about CrossFit, because I am by no means a hardcore CrossFitter and I agree there are definitely pros and cons to the sport, but as a program they have gotten many women into the best shape of their lives and a large number of them can do some form of a pull-up whether it be strict, kipping, or butterfly.

Baby got back. 

Here are some benefits of Kipping Pull-ups. (Side Note:  I still love Lance Armstrong and Livestrong, because when you take a way a first place title, but cannot award it to any other top place finisher because they too have also been charged with doping, that still makes him the best of the best if you ask me...but that's a rant for another day.) I want my athletes like my video games. 

Basically, what I am saying is: SUCK IT New York Times, women I can do pull ups.  End Rant. 



Unless I am doing it wrong because I can only count in fractions, since women aren't allowed out of the kitchen, that looks like 3 ladies doing pull-ups. 



Cheers to pull-ups,

<3 BB


No comments