1.16.2013

Sweet Potato Brownies

In honor of my favorite Grandma's birthday (Happy birthday, Grandma Julie!!!!), I thought it would be fitting to share a recipe with you, since she is one of the best cooks / bakers I know. 

Over the weekend Bradley and I were jonesing for some dessert, but I have been really trying to cut back on my sugar intake (which by the way, I have actually surprised myself. So far I have only had one cupcake and 2 glasses of hot cocoa in the past two and a half weeks, but I digress...)  Back to my story, we first hit up Pinterest for healthy dessert options; but then I remembered this recipe for sweet potato brownies that I had seen over at Urban Nester and we decided to attempt.  

Some of the goods. 


Here is what you will need:


::: Ingredients :::
::4 oz dark chocolate {I might have purchased extra ounces to keep around after the brownies were gone}
::1 large sweet potato{cooked and skinned}
::1/4 cup honey {not pictured}
::3 eggs {I followed Molly and used egg whites}
::1/4 cup cocoa powder {not pictured}
::1 tablespoon of vanilla {not pictured}
::1 tablespoon almond flour
::1 tablespoon coconut oil
::1 teaspoon baking soda



Dark chocolate, get in my mouth.

Here is how you make it: 

:: Instructions :::
::In a food processor {or high speed blender} - blend the sweet potato until it is nice and mushy.
::In the microwave {or double broiler} - melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil together. {We used the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds or so until the chocolate was fully melted.}
::Combine all ingredients together and mix well.
::Grease an 8x11 pan with coconut oil and evenly pour the brownie mix into it. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.  {We used a pie tin and it worked just as well}



Next time, I think I will try and cook the sweet potato just a touch longer. 


Poor Man's version of a KitchenAid


Brad beat that mix it up. 


Girl, look at those peaks. 


Brad ruined everything started cutting into the dish before I had a chance to take a picture of it.  He obviously doesn't have a blog. 


Along with cutting back on sugar, I have also cut back on dairy too. Problem is, I have this thing where I can't eat brownies unless I have ice cream.  Okay, that is a lie, I will still eat brownies without ice cream, but they are much better with! We decided to try out the So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream in place of regular ice cream and I was a fan. 

Overall the texture of the brownie was great.  If you're expecting a super sweet chocolate treat, this may not be the dish for you, but I thought it totally hit the spot for my chocolate craving and the coconut ice cream gave it that little bit of added goodness. Plus, I didn't feel guilty while eating it!!!! I will definitely make this again and might even try and play around with the ingredients a bit... Maybe even get real crazy and add some apple sauce to it, who's to say... 

Feel free to share any healthy recipes you have!  I would love to try them out. 


Cheers to healthy goodness! 

<3 BB 

No comments