3.11.2013

Little Moments

Do you ever have those moments where you think to yourself, 'Gee self, this moment is pretty nice.  I'd like to make a mental note of this and remember it for a little while.' 

I had two of those over this hectic weekend.

The first came bright and early Saturday morning as I was driving to this track meet.



It was one of those moment's where I was racing the sun to Salem and there were hardly any cars on the road. I felt content.  Happy with my early morning, happy that I get to be involved with an activity like track that still brings me joy, and appreciating the early morning sun in March.

I'm not sure if it was the chapter of The Happiness Project I had read the day before that had an effect on my mood or just having the opportunity to enjoy the moment of free time, but there was this feeling that I didn't want to take that moment, or everything good I have going on in my life, for granted.  Cheesy I know, but I don't care.

This quote from the author of The Happiness Project really stuck out to me.  It's short and sweet, but conveys a lot:

"Work harder to appreciate your ordinary day.” ― Gretchen Rubin

The second came as Bradley and I sat down for dinner together Sunday evening after the busy weekend.  We decided to turn off the tv and decompress. Just enjoy the music in the background and each other's company.  Plus, I made this soup. All too often we are multitasking or watching tv while we eat, but last night was needed.  Last night was simple.  Yummy food and nice conversation. This moment, too, made me happy and although it was nothing out of the ordinary, it was one I felt like keeping track of.



Now, this morning on the other hand, is one that I can probably go without remembering.  I could use that extra hour of sleep, on top of the fact that I got to work only to notice that both Brad's keys and wallet were in my purse. So, that was a fun trip back home, in traffic.....

But I am choosing not to dwell on that. Instead, I am choosing to focus on my own happiness project. I think my favorite thing about this book so far, is the fact that the author, Gretchen Rubin, was not unhappy to begin with and nor am I.  She just wanted to get the most out of her happiness and that is never a bad thing. Profit Happiness Maximization!


"It's about living in the moment and appreciating the smallest things. Surrounding yourself with the things that inspire you and letting go of the obsessions that want to take over your mind. It is a daily struggle sometimes and hard work but happiness begins with your own attitude and how you look at the world.” ― Gretchen Rubin

What kind of things would you focus on for your own happiness project?! 


Cheers! 

<3 BB 


2 comments

Anonymous said...

Isn't that traditional meal at the table a wonderful experience? Dan and I have really enjoyed sitting down to music, candlelight, conversation and good food during lent - I think it's something we will keep around, especially when it's warm enough to eat outside.

Currently Dan and I are happiest when we are dreaming of retirement - that has to change as we aren't even halfway through our working years!

Kait said...

love it!awesome track pic too btw!

i would focus on embracing every, single moment that i could, and trust that every moment is happening for a reason :)